Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Hollows Series --- Zombie Apocalypse goes to the Ladies (Like we knew it would)

I started reading this series for a couple of reasons, one, Amanda Hocking wrote the Trylle Series which I loved, and also wrote My Blood Approves which I also generally approve of, ha…get it? And two, Amazon was offering the Kindle edition for the low, low price of $2.99 so couldn't exactly pass that up!

In the Hollows series, Amanda Hocking has gone in a different direction than I've become accustomed to in my usual crappy reading, opting out of vampires, werewolves, faeries, or seraphim, and instead opting in for zombies. She also went really wild, and decided to not make the supernatural beings in the story the object of lust…thankfully.  Although, I guess it would be nice for a guy to be interesting in a girl for her brains instead of her body for once. HEY-OO!!!  Anyway, I'll say that I knew this series was about the zombie apocalypse prior to reading it and, for some reason I was hesitant to get started, even though I generally love all things zombie. However, I was very quickly turned around. The story follows Remy, an all around bad ass zombie slayer chick, on cross country trek to find her kid brother.  Enter bitchin' ass zombie eating lioness stage right. Actual lioness… that isn't a term for something else, at least not that I am aware of. Enter 2 dudes stage left. Don't worry, you don't have to stress out about a love triangle yet. However, I advise not to get your hopes set on the wrong candidate right off the bat like I did, there will never be so much as a glimmer of hope in that direction. Let's just say, that the actual love interest wouldn't exactly be Darwin's choice to carry on the human race. But at any rate, I eventually decided he was endearing enough to entertain. We continue on with tons of zombie slaying, cult people, more zombie slaying, rebel mercenaries, and even more zombie slaying. On the whole, I really did enjoy both of the books that have come out in this series so far, I breezed through both of them pretty quickly. I will say though that, as in many other Urban Fantasy novels, the main character has an irritating habit of being unnecessarily self sacrificing. I mean, its not like that is a bad quality for a character to have, but its frustrating to read sometimes. Not to mention the fact that this is the zombie apocalypse we're talking about here… not exactly the best time to have an unnecessary sense of responsibility. Mild spoiler alert: I recommend not getting your hopes up in regards to the original romance carrying over into the second book. Nothing major, it just doesn't go in the route that you exactly expect for it to go as far as that is concerned. This didn't really bother me however, and I found that I actually enjoyed the second book more, which as far as other reader reviews I've read, tends to be the opposite with a lot of people. I think knowing that it isn't going to be what you expect, helps as far as appreciating the story itself. The same thing kind of happened for me in the Trylle series, but I had a friend warn me not to get attached to the original interest, and it made it much more enjoyable!! So yeah, don't be a douche and stop reading, it all comes back around :) Anyway, I'll definitely be looking forward to book 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment