Monday, January 30, 2012

Rant

You know what I am straight up sick and fucking tired of? Even more than I am sick and tired of entirely this whole played out love triangle business, I am sick to death of the "intelligent", independent, and generally quick witted heroine choosing the asshole over the caring person that loves her and would do anything for her. I mean, occasionally I get it, everyone wants to find the bad boy, and bring out the good in them with your love etc etc blah blah blah. Okay… well I don't really, but I can see the allure, I suppose. However, sometimes a bad guy is just a bad guy, and there is no point in trying, and an intelligent, independent heroine should immediately recognize something like this, rather than even consider the asshole a viable romantic interest. Not to mention that as many books as I have read where this ends up being how the series ends, I am soooooo sick of it. It has now become completely predictable, instead of the twist that clearly some writers still think that it is. I'm looking at you Cassandra Clare. I assumed that you of all people would know, that when writing a spin off series that exists within in the same universe as a previous series, it would be best not to go with the same general sequence of events within the romantic storyline. So far, Will is an even bigger asshole than Jace was, which I didn't even think was possible. I can say that I hated Jace for most of the Mortal Instruments Series, and still never really came around to liking him. The emo/teen angst thing is played, and I have trouble feeling sorry for a character continuously comes back to how tormented they are, I instead end up hating most things about them and scenes involving them. The only reason at all that I came around to the Clary/ Jace relationship is because I rather started to dislike Clary in the same vein, and cared more about what was going on with the Simon or even the Alex and Magnus parts of the storyline. And although I am only 80% of the way through book one of Infernal Devices, things seem to be shaping up in much the same way. I will be soo, soo, sooooo disappointed if this turns out to be the case, and I really had higher hopes for Clare as well. With one successful series already under her belt, and a universe that has already been created and well defined, I was expecting more creativity and variance, within the romance especially. I plan on reviewing the book itself separately, but I needed to vent about that specific aspect. My agitation is furthered even more by the occurrences in the other series I am currently working on, The Iron Fey, which I will also review at a later time. But mostly I am disappointed, I thought that Cassandra Clare specifically was going to bring more to the table, not the same thing that she has already given us. Hopefully she will prove me wrong, but as I am almost never wrong where these kinds of things are concerned, I tend to doubt it. I realize this sounds really cocky, haha, however I usually have a sixth sense for when series are not going to end the way that I would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment