Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wicked Lovely.... Not the Fever Series

I've had a hard time the past couple of weeks, really getting settled into a series, thus my absence from blogging about them. I know that all of my tens of readers (or less) have been sitting on the edge of their seats awaiting my next exciting move. Generally, I have been trying to complete the available series, or at least come close, before going ahead with my review. However, I have been so discontent recently, that I have read the first book or so of a series and moved on to something different. Questing for something I like better. So perhaps I will go out on a limb and review the first books of these series, and perhaps this will lead me to a conclusion about why I haven't been able to invest fully in either. I will also say that lately, with all of the movie hype for The Hunger Games, more and more friends are reading it and getting me all excited, which consequently is making me long for something better rounded and a little bit deeper, rather than the superficial, supernatural love triangles, or love squares as the case may be.

First up to the plate - Wicked Lovely

Stop me if you think that you've heard this one before. Sidhe-seer chick with powers that she isn't even aware of, is wary of trusting a Faery Prince. Okay, so maybe it isn't an exact match, but it does feel strikingly close to a small piece of the plot line in the Fever Series. Which, even just the first book of, is so drastically better than this one, perhaps that can explain my lack of commitment to this series thus far. Here we have our protagonist, Aislinn. She is descendant from a long line of sidhe-seers, and has been beaten over the head with strict rules of how to act regarding the fae by her grandmother (who of course raised her, because no one is raised by their real parents anymore, duh!) her whole life. For those of you who don't know what a sidhe-seer is, and failed to pick on context clues, a sidhe-seer is one who can see the sidhe or fae or faeries or any of that kind of shit. It is generally assumed that faeries are hidden from the general publics eyes by glamour, but sidhe-seers can see through all that like (insert awesome simile for seeing through things here) Aislinn has spent her whole life closing herself off from things to avoid being found out by the fae… translation - she's pretty fucking boring. She's all like, "wah, I see things, but I'm afraid to tell anyone or let on that I do because faeries will kidnap me if they know, wah, I am extremely closed minded for someone who sees things others can't, wah, I only trust my best friend, who is a dude, and who I will inevitably do it with but am going to try to push it off as long as possible just to make it abundantly clear how boring I am beforehand."

Aislinn, as it turns out, is also being pursued by the literal faery king, who is having quite a rough go of it as she, of course, knows he is a faery, and therefore does not trust him. This guy's name is Keenan. For real. Clearly someone did not watch All That, or the instant cinema classic Good Burger. Aside from having a hard time imagining him as something other than a chubby black dude in a bubble bath speaking bad French, Keenan, to me, was actually the most interesting character in the book. He's the King of the Summer fae, but the majority of his power is being withheld by his bitch of a mother who happens to be the Queen of Winter. The deal is Keenan can't access his powers until he finds his true Queen. So pretty much he's just been going around for centuries banging everything he can get his hands on and trying to convince them to touch some special winter stick (that's what he likes to call it, ha.) to see if they are the Queen. Clearly, up to this point, none of the girls he has convinced to "touch his stick" have been the true queen. Did I mention there's a catch? No? Well there is a catch. When a girl touches said stick, and isn't the Summer Queen she gets the chill of winter or some shit like that and has to live as an ice bitch until the next girl touches the thingy. Keenan thinks that Aislinn is his queen however, he's thought the same about all of his other conquests. Is she indeed the one? Will she become his next ice bitch? Or will she simply refuse to do anything and continue living her boring ass life?

Oh, I almost forgot about Seth, the best friend that wants to be more than just besties. Oh that’s right... I forgot about him because he is forgetful. Blah blah blah, I was bored with him. And was so disturbed by the idea that he had a naval ring that anytime he was mentioned in a romantic manner I cringed in disgust. Eww. In fact, I am cringing in disgust at this exact moment, just at the mere thought. There is also Keenan's previous muse, Donia, who was the most recent to touch the winter thingy and is now a frigid winter lady person. She's also still clearly in love with Keenan, against all odds, which thus completes our love square. There you go folks. We're you sick of reading about love triangles? Well we have just the thing for you! Its new! Its improved! Its… a love… square? That's right folks! All of the angst and drama of a love triangle with the added bonus of a 4th side! Call now to get yours!! BUT WAIT! There's more! Act now and we'll throw in a irritatingly wrapped up conclusion and the inability to shake the image of a dude with a naval piercing!

Anyway, overall it was just alright. My lack of excitement for it, combined with the fact that the other books in the series move on to follow different characters within the same world, led me to move on to another series before moving forward with this one. Perhaps one day I shall return.

No comments:

Post a Comment